As a grandparent raising a grandchild, you are not alone.
Approximately 2.5 million grandparents in the U.S. are solely responsible for the basic needs of their grandchildren.
3,783 grandparents are raising their grandchildren in Cumberland County.
Grandparent Support Group:
Support Group meetings
will resume as guidelines
allow reopening after
|For more help, contact|
the Family Support team:
The Pandemic has put a pause on our usual meetings. We will update this page with more information on when they will resume as that becomes available.
Having someone who understands what you are going through can make a world of difference. The Partnership for Children of Cumberland County hosts a Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Group just for this reason.
Our support group meets monthly and provides a way for grandparents to share stories and tips, spend time with others in similar situations, and learn about services available in the community. Meetings are typically the 3rd Tuesday at the Partnership for Children’s Family Resource Center from 10:00 am-Noon.
The program is funded by a grant from the Mid-Carolina Council of Governments Area Agency on Aging. To learn more about the Grandparent Raising Grandchildren Support Group, contact the Partnership’s Family Support Caseworkers at (910) 867-9700.
Supporting Grandparents Caring for Grandchildren:
- Grand Magazine – Articles for grandparents raising grandchildren, grandparent rights, as well as craft ideas, product reviews, book reviews, and more.
- AARP – Resources for finding the support grandparents need.
- Help Guide – Addresses some of the challenges of raising grandchildren and offers advice on self-care, creating a stable environment, communication, and helping children cope with trauma.
All of these books are available to borrow in the Eva L. Hansen Resource Lending Library located within the Partnership’s Family Resource Center.
- Grandparents as Parents: A Survival Guide for Raising A Second Family by Sylvie Toledo
- Raising our Children’s Children by Deborah Doucette-Dudman
- To Grandma’s House, We Stay by Sally Houtman
Raising Grandchildren in Cumberland County:
- Child Advocacy Center: (910) 486-9700
- Cumberland County Department of Social Services: (910) 323-1540
- Cumberland County Health Department: (910) 433-3600
- CC Coordinating Council on Older Adults: (910) 484-0111
- Legal Aid: (910) 483-0400
- Tokay Senior Fitness Center: (910) 488-6120
- The Mid-Carolina Area Agency on Aging: (910) 323-4191
- Partnership for Children of Cumberland County: (910) 867-9700