As a grandparent raising a grandchild, you are not alone.
Approximately 2.5 million grandparents in the U.S. are solely responsible for the basic needs of their grandchildren.
3,783 grandparents are raising their grandchildren in Cumberland County.
Supporting Grandparents Caring for Grandchildren:
- Grand Magazine – Articles for grandparents raising grandchildren, grandparent rights, as well as craft ideas, product reviews, book reviews, and more.
- AARP – Resources for finding the support grandparents need.
- Help Guide – Addresses some of the challenges of raising grandchildren and offers advice on self-care, creating a stable environment, communication, and helping children cope with trauma.
All of these books are available to borrow in the Eva L. Hansen Resource Lending Library located within the Partnership’s Family Resource Center.
- Grandparents as Parents: A Survival Guide for Raising A Second Family by Sylvie Toledo
- Raising our Children’s Children by Deborah Doucette-Dudman
- To Grandma’s House, We Stay by Sally Houtman
Raising Grandchildren in Cumberland County:
- Child Advocacy Center: (910) 486-9700
- Cumberland County Department of Social Services: (910) 323-1540
- Cumberland County Health Department: (910) 433-3600
- CC Coordinating Council on Older Adults: (910) 484-0111
- Legal Aid: (910) 483-0400
- Tokay Senior Fitness Center: (910) 488-6120
- The Mid-Carolina Area Agency on Aging: (910) 323-4191