If you are a grandparent raising your grandchildren you are not alone. There are approximately 2.5 million grandparents in the US who are solely responsible for the basic needs of their grandchildren. In Cumberland County, 3,783 grandparents are raising their grandchildren.
| Upcoming Grandparents |
Support Group meetings:
|January 14, 2020|
|February 18, 2020|
|March 17, 2020|
|April 21, 2020|
|May 19, 2020|
Having someone who understands what you are going through can make a world of difference. The Partnership for Children of Cumberland County hosts a Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Group just for this reason. Our support group meets monthly and provides a way for grandparents to share stories and tips, spend time with others in similar situations, and learn about services available in the community. Meetings are typically the 3rd Tuesday at the Partnership for Children’s Family Resource Center from 10:00 am-Noon.
The program is funded by a grant from the Mid-Carolina Council of Governments Area Agency on Aging. To learn more about the Grandparent Raising Grandchildren Support Group, contact the Partnership’s Family Support Caseworkers at (910) 867-9700.
Additional Resources for Grandparent Support
- Grand Magazine – Articles for grandparents raising grandchildren, grandparent rights as well as craft ideas, product reviews, book reviews, and more
- AARP – Resources for finding the support grandparents need.
- Help Guide – Addresses some of the challenges of raising grandchildren and offers advice on self-care, creating a stable environment, communication, and helping children cope with trauma.
All of these books are available to borrow in the Eva L. Hansen Resource Lending Library located within the Partnership’s Family Resource Center.
- Grandparents as Parents: A Survival Guide for Raising A Second Family by Sylvie Toledo
- Raising our Children’s Children by Deborah Doucette-Dudman
- To Grandma’s House, We Stay by Sally Houtman
- Child Advocacy Center: (910) 486-9700
- Cumberland County Department of Social Services: (910) 323-1540
- Cumberland County Health Department: (910) 433-3600
- CC Coordinating Council on Older Adults: (910) 484-0111
- Legal Aid: (910) 483-0400
- Tokay Senior Fitness Center: (910) 488-6120
- The Mid-Carolina Area Agency on Aging: (910) 323-4191
- Partnership for Children of Cumberland County: (910) 867-9700